Friday, October 21, 2011

Trust.


God has been teaching me a lot about trust.  Funny thing is I thought I was pretty trusting.  I thought coming to Uganda meant that I really trusted in God’s voice speaking to me.  Over these past days I found myself living a very guarded, careful, even complacent life.  The more I read the bible the more the word TRUST jumps out at me and the more I realize I’m not really trusting my Dad.  Am I really trusting that God is going to redeem His people?  Does God really mean it when he says-

“He will swallow up death forever, Then the LORD GOD will wipe away the tears from all faces, and the disgrace of his people he will take away from all the earth” –Isaiah 25:8

God doesn’t ask for just small areas of my heart, He asks for every bit of it.  When we hear those words do we really believe it?  When He asks me to give up my life for His, He means it.  So whether you are a homeless orphan on the streets of Uganda, or a middle class family in Tennessee, God is asking you to trust Him.  If we really believe Jesus is who he said He is, if we really believe the Holy Spirit is with us, then we can trust Him. 

This morning I read about how much Paul trusted God.  He trusted Him through pain, through joy, through action and in waiting.  I think each one of us desire trust more than anything.  God created this great need in each one of us to trust Him, so when we don’t it hurts and we feel separate from what He is doing.  It hurts God even more to see us not trust Him. My prayer for myself, my family in Uganda, as well as my family back in the United States is to trust God.  I pray that we can trust the Spirit of Jesus like Paul did.

“And now, as a captive to the Spirit, I am on my way to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit testifies to me in every city that imprisonment and persecutions are waiting for me.  But I do not count my life of any value to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the good news of God’s grace.” –Acts 20:22-24

Some days I get up, and I feel like a little kid learning how to walk all over again.  God’s in front of me with His arms spread wide as I make my way toward Him.  I fall a lot, sometimes I cry, sometimes I get mad, but in the end I know where I’m going.  I’m on my way to the restored Jerusalem, I’m not entirely sure what’s going to happen along the way, except that the Holy Spirit is with me every step.  Every day is an adventure here, we have made so many friends, we laugh way more then we cry, and we are all learning what trust means together.

“Commit your way to the LORD; trust him, and he will act.  He will make your vindication shine like the light, and the justice of your cause like the noonday.” Psalm 37:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment